Tuesday, April 1, 2014

On the uptake

Why is it that every doctor you see wants to run tests to confirm that the test he has in his hand, that the previous doctor administered, is in fact correct?

Story of my life. 

Last week, a very good friend of mine dropped in, bearing gifts, to check on me. She found out that I hadn't had my appointment with the Endocrinologist yet, so she moved her schedule around and went with me. I am so glad that she did. 

It astounds me how differently we, as humans, perceive information. 

The Endo asked a series of questions. He then told me I may not actually have Grave's disease, that we are here to figure that out. Even though he acknowledged that my numbers were all pointing in that direction. We needed to run more tests. He told me that if the test says one thing, he will never see me again. If it said the other thing (which every test has said so far) then we will have more tests to run and, eventually, I will get onto some medicine. 

I was so frustrated with this answer. I felt like this is ground that we've already covered. Why are we backtracking? Also, if this is nothing, why is it that you squeezed me in with less than a week's notice when you have a 6 month waiting list?  It just didn't make sense to me. 

Bless my friend. She was able to see this in such a positive light that I had to stop my grumbling long enough to consider that this news was, in fact, positive. She saw this as making progress. I saw it as more hem hawing and chewing the cud. I felt like he wasn't listening to the words coming out of my mouth. That the papers in front of him must be his lunch order because, if he could see what the other doctors had told me, surely we would be taking decisive action NOW. (puff out chest, look mean and authoritative) 

She saw it as one step closer to an answer. After some coaxing on her part, I saw her point and I tried to have a better attitude. We headed downstairs to get more bloodwork done. We clowned around with the Phlebotomist. Those ladies are always characters.  I left a little more light hearted. 

I would love to tell you that I wasn't the least bit cynical the next day when I received the phone call stating that I was right, again. I would be lying to you. I grudgingly told my fellowship group that night about the doctor visit and the results. Once again, my friend reminded me that this is progress. What would I do without her? She's like that good fairy tapping my shoulder and reminding me to be nice. To be strong. 

I scheduled a Thyroid Uptake and Scan for this week. Basically, this means that I had to take a pill that is slightly radioactive today. Tomorrow, I will return to the radiology department and they will scan me to see where the thyroid sent the radiation. The process takes about an hour. I will lie with a pillow under my neck and my throat extended for about 50 minutes. The radiology technician advised me that it will be uncomfortable and to take some ibuprofen before I arrive.

So, that is where we are now. It is still the waiting game.

I will try to choose positive thinking from this point on. 
I want to say, "it's just that..."  or "but it's frustrating because..."
I won't say that anymore. I will accept what is and work on what is to come. I hope.
For now, this will be my mantra:





If you want to research Grave's Disease, there is plenty to read when you google it. This disease is still in its infancy, as far as treatment and facts are concerned. However, Google doesn't really tell you what I've been going through. It tells you about the people who get enlarged eyes. It doesn't tell you that only a few rare percent of people actually experience that problem. 
My doctor told me that the thyroid can do ANYTHING. It can cause exhaustion, tremors, weight loss, weight gain, pain in the lower back and loins, skin issues, boils, a goiter, difficulty swallowing, loss of muscle, joint pain, body aches, brain fog, etc. 

I recently came across a blog that lists some 300 symptoms that people with thyroid issues can face. The blog was aimed at people with hypothyroidism, but it holds true for people with hyperthyroidism as well. I identified with so many of the symptoms that it felt unreal. I will share it with you below. Feel free to read more about this and ask any questions that you have. 


Here's another blog that I came across. It puts What It Is Like To Have Grave's Disease into words that I haven't been able to find. I encourage you to read this if you are wondering what it is like to be me. 


Thank you for your attention and time. I appreciate your support more than you know. 
Again, if you want to know more, don't be afraid to ask questions. I don't mind answering them.  





No comments:

Post a Comment